The Sponsor-a-Hive 2020 Application is Open!
Eligibility, Requirements, and Benefits
Sponsor-A-Hive places native bee houses and honeybee hives across the U.S. and Canada to empower underserved communities to grow food, bolster local ecology, and protect vital keystone species. Each year, we provide bee homes, ongoing support, and educational materials to schools, gardens, and other community groups to help foster local native bee resilience.
Fall 2020 Award: Native Bee Homes
Currently, 1 in 4 of North America’s 4000 bee species is at risk of extinction. To help protect and boost native bee populations, we are awarding up to 500 native bee homes across the United States and Canada, thanks in part to our generous program supporters Texas Roadhouse, Zarbee’s Naturals, Salomon Family Foundation, Manitou Foundation, Con Edison, and The New York Community Trust.
The Bee Conservancy’s Native Bee House was designed in partnership with Longhouse Workshop in Brooklyn. Made with sustainably-sourced wood, its removable shelves provide landing boards for bees and easier maintenance for owners. With tubes for leafcutter, mason, and small carpenter bees, we’ve created a beautiful and practical habitat that promotes good hygiene, durability, and avoids overcrowding.
We’re so excited to share our unique native bee home with communities across the country!
Sponsor-a-Hive serves nonprofits, schools, and other organizations that share in our mission to bolster bee populations, healthy habitats, food security, and community resilience. Eligible candidates for a Sponsor-a-Hive Native Bee House awards fit the following criteria:
- Located in The United States or Canada;
- Demonstrates the ability to serve as an educational resource;
- Demonstrates proximity to green space with ample bee forage (flowers, flowering trees, etc.) that supports food growth, education, or ecological conservation;
- Benefits an underserved area or community, such as a census tract of below-average food market density;
- Represents one of the following:
- Pre-K, elementary, middle, or high school
- College or university
- Tribal organization or education agency
- Environmental center
- Community center
- Senior living communities
- Food bank or community garden
- Nonprofit urban farms
- Cooperative extension
- Public parks
- Nature preserves
- Green belts
- Has an IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter or a NCES school ID number
- Has been in verified, operational existence for at least one year
At this time, we do not award native bee homes or honeybee hives to individuals, families, or for-profit businesses.
Sponsor-a-Hive awardees become part of The Bee Conservancy’s vast network of individuals and organizations dedicated to protecting bees and bolstering local food and communities.
Some of the benefits you will enjoy as a Sponsor-a-Hive native bee house awardee are:
- A native bee home.
- Instructions on setting up and caring for your home.
- Family-friendly educational materials about native bees.
- Access to an online community of awardees to share information, experiences, and updates.
To help us expand our efforts to protect bees and habitat, collect data about wild bees, and improve our Sponsor-a-Hive program, we require all Sponsor-a-Hive recipients agree to:
- Respond to three (3) short online surveys in your first and second years, and one (1) survey during your third, fourth, and fifth years.
- Post to social media on your organization’s channels about your bee home a minimum of one (1) time in the first year of your award, tagging us in your post. By posting to social media, you grant The Bee Conservancy and our program sponsors permission to share your content on our own channels. Organizations that do not have social media accounts, must provide us with two to five (2 to 5) photos and details about the images.
Corporate Partners for Sponsor-a-Hive 2020
Grant Support for Sponsor-a-Hive 2020
Past Supporters of Sponsor-a-Hive include Patagonia, Neal’s Yard Remedies, The Mountain, Google, Trixie Cosmetics, Google, Sweet Harvest Foods, Trader Joe’s, Dadant, Barr Hill, Emily Austin, neubau, Mann Lake, Palais Des Thes, Boxed, Red Bee Honey, Pinkberry, James E. Dutton Foundation Inc., Harry Barker, Associated Photo + Imaging, Rowing Blazers, MYDAR, and Clif Bar Foundation.